Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Bye for now!

Had the O's and the B's in for coffee this morning. M. brought cookies, which were delicious. They were surprised at the progress we made in packing stuff up since the last time they visited -- most of it was done last night. I gave them a few last-minute tips about WH quirks, and now it's limo time.

It hits me as we ride past the incredible crowds of cheering masses -- I am dog tired. Exhausted. I'm done which is a relief, but am I now a has-been? How will I be remembered? Will I just be forgotten? B. is talking to me along the way, but what he's saying doesn't register.

Now we're up in the stands, ready for the swearing in. So many familiar faces, yet I feel very alone. C. is here in a wheelchair. Turns out he pulled somethin' moving boxes out of his office in the WH. We're definitely going out much different than we came in.

Post ceremony, I'm back at the WH and ready to go. I say goodbye to to the WH staff who have provided exemplary service and support over the past 8 years. I will miss them.

I walk in the Oval Office and it's still there. I've been thinking a lot about it over the past couple of days, turning it over and over in my head -- very unlike me. But now it's clear. I grab the shoe and walk out the door, L.'s hand in mine. I fire up the U-Haul's engine, and start the journey back toward the hot Texas sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment