Saturday, January 3, 2009

And I'm Off!

Howdy friends and family! Just thought it would be fun to keep a little journal of our trials and tribulations as we prepare for the big move back down south. Hope you like it, and L. and I look forward to getting together with y'all soon at the new ranch.

Filled out the USPS change of address form this morning. Had to do it on paper as the electronic version was rejected -- they didn't think it was for real. It takes some time to kick in; maybe that's why election day and inauguration are so far apart.

Apart from that, things are not going as well as we'd hoped. Even with all of the extra empty liquor boxes I picked up from the World Bank, I still don't think we have enough. We've accumulated a lot in eight years. And L. is getting nostalgic as she packs, looking over every picture, mask, trophy and knick knack in the place before putting it away. It's really slowing her down. Will we be ready in time? We put down a heck of a security deposit on this place -- I don't want to lose it.

L. showed me an early pic she found of all of us from the first hundred days. So young and hopeful and optimistic. Would we have aged as much if we hadn't gone through what we did? Some days I feel like I'm a teenager in a old man's body.

I cranked up some Alan Jackson in hope that it'll get us moving, but the acoustics are so poor in this place due to all of the plaster that it echoes and bounces and sounds terrible. Still, I think it'll get us moving. When "Nothing Left to Do" comes on, it stops me in my tracks. I skip ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment